• Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
Stampa la pagina
Montegiocotown hall 
strada Garbagna

phone number
+39 0131875132


The village of Montegioco is famous for its sulphurous water sources which were probably used as thermal establishments during the Roman age. This establishment no longer exists, but the presence of a castle located near the chief town ‘Palazzo’ suggests to link the current structure to an ancient ‘Palatium’, which had thermal functions, before being used for other purposes. However, the sources are worth visiting.

Nominated for the first time in a document from 1152, Montegioco took part in the medieval dispute between Guelphs and Gibellines and it was included in the peace treaty between them in 1312.
Montegioco remained a royal fief until 1560, but it paid a substantial sum to the Ducal Chamber in order to become autonomous.
In 1647 it renounced is autonomy perhaps to receive more protection and was purchased by the Busseti Lords, who had the renaissance style castle built.

In the surround area: woods of acacia, green fields of purple medic, apple orchards and peach trees.

what to see:
- the castle: after being completely restored it can be admired in all its splendour.
- the conspicuous remains of a Romanesque apse, which probably dates back to the 11th century.

> hamlets: Palazzo, Piaggio, Fabbrica, Faravelia, Pragasso
> patronal day: Santa Maria Assunta
> inhabitants denomination: montegiochesi
> area: 5.44 sq km

n. of inhabitants: 341

geographical position: north-west of Italy, Mountain Community of Terre del Giarolo

altitude m. 331

distance from:
Alessandria km.32