OSPITALITÀ


Pozzol Groppo

  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
Stampa la pagina
Pozzol Groppotown hall
via San Lorenzo 4

phone number
+039 0131 800501

e-mail
comunegroppo@libero.it  


Hilly village stretching along the two slopes towards the Curone and the Staffora valleys. The beautiful castle of Pozzol Groppo is located on the hill, in a panoramic position overlooking the valleys, the Apennine and the plain. The municipality of Pozzol Groppo contains many hamlets; the main ones are San Lorenzo and Bigiasco.
Pozzol Groppo borders the following municipalities: Cecima, Godiasco, Momperone, Montemarzino, and Volpedo.

In 1449 ‘Pozzolo del Groppo’ was under the control of Tortona, according to the will of Francesco Sforza. The authority of Tortona finished in 1530, when Marquis Cesare Malaspina from Godiasco took possession of the castle. It remained fief of the Malaspina family until 1797. The castrum of Groppo was destroyed by the enemies coming from Voghera in 1398. Any traces of it remain at present.
In the Napoleonic era it was an autonomous district council. The actual municipality was formed from the merging of the two previous Pozzol and Groppo in 1929.
 
main sights
- Malaspina Castle: dating from the 16th century with foundations of the 13th century (now private house and closed to the public).
- the church of Groppo-Biagasco; it was called ‘S. Maria di Piano del Groppo’ and it was mentioned in two documents of the 12th century.
- a shrine, in the settlement of Biagasco.

> hamlets:Biagasco, Fracchio, Brienzone, Ca’ D’Andrino, Casa Franchini, Ca’ di Bruno, Groppo Superiore, Monastero, Mongarizzo, Montemerlano, Casa Lucchi, Monticelli.
> patronal day: San Lorenzo
> inhabitants denomination: pozzolgroppesi
> area: sq km 13.86

n. of inhabitants: 389

geographical position: north-west of Italy: Mountain Community of the Terre del Giarolo

altitude m: 140 above sea level (min) 500 above sea level (max)

distance from Alessandria: 37 km.